Countless Americans deal with high blood pressure every day. But, when do the effects of hypertension require a visit to the emergency room?
Extremely high blood pressure can cause severe life-threatening issues including stroke, aneurysms, heart attacks, and heart failure.
Causes of Hypertension
Situations that can cause hypertensive emergencies include:
- Forgetting to take your blood pressure medication
- Worsening kidney failure
- An interaction between medications or supplements that you are taking
- Complications related to pregnancy
- Certain endocrine diseases such as thyroid storm or pheochromocytoma
- Recreational drug use
When your high blood pressure is extremely high, it has a potential to damage your organs and blood vessels.
If you deal with high blood pressure and notice any of the following signs or symptoms, a trip to an emergency medical facility is an absolute necessity.
- Severe chest pain
- A severe headache, especially when accompanied by confusion or vision changes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Extreme levels of anxiety
- Shortness of breath
- Seizures or tremors
Do not hesitate or second guess yourself. Your life could be at risk. Call 9-1-1 or visit the nearest emergency medical facility immediately.
We’re Always Here For You
Here at Elite Medical Center, we are staffed with real board-certified physicians and are able to offer the same medical expertise as a traditional hospital emergency room without the annoyingly long wait times and with a level of VIP service, you will not experience anywhere else. While we always hope that we will never have to see you, rest assured knowing that if you do, we will be here 24/7.